Thursday, November 23, 2023

From Janet P November 1, 1975

 

Dear Dona,

I'm glad to hear that you got a job especially one that you enjoy and what do you mean about fooling them about being a nice friendly person. I'm quite sure you didn't keep up the pretense all the weeks you were over here. Anyway try to keep your chin up over Christmas, as we get rushed off our feed giving people money and I'm sure you will be rushed off your feet receiving people's money. Is it expensive jewelry?

In your letter you say you are watching Shoulder to Shoulder. I must admit when I watched it I was in tears every episode and when they force feed the women I could have really belted the prison warden. I know when I had my 18th birthday and said that I didn't intend to vote in the elections, all my family started saying "did the Pankhursts and friends suffer for nothing". Then I started to watch Shoulder to Shoulder and felt really ashamed.

Anyway to change the subject is it really possible to attend a college over here. It would buck Jeremy up no end. Last night 'Halloween' Graham and Lorraine came down for the evening and I really wished that you would walk in the door. [Jeremy] looked so lonely and fed up. I hope for both your sakes it could be next year and near to the day you were arriving over here.

Niky has still had no luck with a job yet but there is a job that looks quite promising with the civil service.

It's Niky's 21st birthday in 2 weeks and he is getting rather depressed saying how old he is getting so at the moment we are trying to cheer him up.

Anyway I will have to close now as we are having to go babysitting over the road and I want to go get changed as I am sitting around in jeans and a sloppy jumper and looking rather tatty.

Love,
Janet & Niky


Note: I'd completely forgotten about Shoulder to Shoulder until now. It seems it can be watched on YouTube! 

I don't recall considering going to college in England. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Janet P March 25, 1977

  10 Westfield Drive, Yeadon Dear Dona, I am so sorry to have taken so long in replying to your letter but I should tell you that I cannot r...