Friday, July 19, 2024

From Meg W -- April 7, 1975

 

Dear Dona,

First of all I must apologize for not writing sooner. You must have thought I'd forgotten you -- but I hadn't. The truth was I just couldn't get down to it. I don't have any excuse really, but I just couldn't find the time. I'm sorry! anyway, I guess I should make up for it by writing a long letter -- so look out!

Thank you for your last letter, I really enjoyed reading it, especially that bit about Macduff chopping off Macbeth's head. The play sounded good -- very interesting. I saw a good film about two years ago called Soylent Green. It was supposed to be America in the year 2014 (I think) when the population is expected, according to the writers, to be so great that they even had to use human bodies for food. They mashed them up and made them into little green tablets called "Soylent Green". The people were fighting to get food, and when the supplies for the day had all been sold the people were warned to get out of the way before the 'big truck' came. The people didn't have time to get far though, because a big yellow truck came with a shovel on the front which was used to 'scoop up' the remaining people and tim them into a lorry where they were masticated until they were a pulpy fleshy mess. These were the people that were used for food. Needless to say, I felt sick after the film.

In answer to your question about my having connections with our respective postal systems, I wish I did; the system in our country is often appalling.

I wouldn't say that Jeremy frightened me with your photographs, you're very nice looking, but don't scream when you see the photograph I've sent. It was taken in one of the large stores in Leeds about two weeks ago. I'd just been walking in the wind, and my hair was a real mess. I'm not smiling much either, am I! But I guess I was tired by then. I'll get some taken later, and I'll smile for you!

You say you hope I've done well on the exams I've just taken! Well, I passed three out of five of them -- but unfortunately you need to pass them all. You have to get 40% or above on all the papers.

I'm sorry about the sweet cigarettes, or sweet candy as you call them. I remember when you came over to England last year with the other people from your school, I was serving drinks in the sixth form block and someone asked for a candy bar. It took me a while to realize what he meant.

Have you got your snowmobiles yet! I hope you have fun on them, but be very careful!

Also when John Jones (I think you know him) came to England last year, he joined us on a Biology excursion, and kept asking to stop so he could take pictures of the "English cows". And Devon is certainly very beautiful. When I was on holiday in Devon I stayed in a village which had only three shops, one school, and about seven or eight houses.

I haven't been to Tintagel, but I would like to go there. A composer (Arnold Bax) composed a piece of music called Tintagel which depicts the island in question. I haven't heard the music yet though, I've been told it's very good.

By the way -- Alison Lancaster is no relation to Nigel Lancaster.

And my birthday was number 18. Actually, I do know Vilma Crossfield. She lives not far from me on Broadgate Walk.

I saw your friend Cindy when she came to the school, too! She seems a very nice girl, and Jeremy tells me she is very much like you in many of her ways. She told us all about your education system, and I think it's better than ours. You have a wider range of classes, where we specialize in only two or three subjects. Your system prepares you for everyday life, rather then for one specific job. Cindy asked me if I had ever thought of going to America and I said I would love to, if only I could afford it, but I have decided to save up and try to come over some time later.

I got an offer from National Westminster Bank, after my interview and I've got a job to go to in July after my holidays (vacation). I'm looking forward to working for them.

I took my stuffed frog to school with me last week (or was it the week before). I call it Ossymum Dias -- of all names.

Yesterday I entered for my bronze medal in Latin American dancing. I was told I had done well, but I don't know the mark yet. You need to get 65% to pass, and you need 85% to get Distinction, that means you've done very well indeed.

I went to see a play at Leeds Grand Theatre a few weeks ago -- called Under Milkwood. The play was quite well acted, and very funny. It depicted the characters living in a seaside village underneath the woods, including a very stiff schoolmistress, a blind sailor who remembers his two wives in his dreams every night, a man who is continually playing the electric organ, and many other people.

However, I don't think I have anything else interesting to tell you now. So I'll leave off here and write again soon.

Bye for now. Take care of yourself.

☺Luv Margaret ☺


Note: I don't remember what play I saw with Macduff chopping off Macbeth's head unless it was Macbeth. As for Soylent Green -- I don't remember that part at all. I thought people were humanly killed. Very interesting about the English education system. I didn't remember some of that. I don't remember that Cindy visited Benton Park. Under Milkwood sounds familiar. (Oh, that's because it is a Dylan Thomas poem.)

Here's Arthur Bax's Tintagel composition:



No comments:

Post a Comment

From Meg -- May 14, 1976 -- the last one

 Hello Dona, I'll bet you're surprised to get this letter, aren't you? Well, I'm sorry I haven't written earlier -- I...