Saturday, July 13, 2024

From Meg W -- January 15, 1975

 

Dear Dona,

I hope you don't mind me writing to you. I'm not very good at writing letters, so beware! Anyway, Jeremy's told me a lot about you, and I'd like to meet you, mind you, it would be ages before I could save up the air fare to America. Nevertheless, it's nice to be able to write to you.

I live at home with my parents. I do have an older brother, e's 20, but he's married and lives in Leeds. We used to argue a lot but since he got married, we've got on really well. Jeremy's probably told you I'm a year older than he is, so I face 'A' level exams this June. Like Jeremy, I take Biology, but I take Mathematics too. I don't go out very often; only on a Tuesday night, when I go dancing. I take lessons in Ballroom dancing for one hour, then join in the social dancing. It's a very good night out.

By the way, many congratulations on winning your scholarship. It must be quite and achievement. Jeremy told me about it, you must be very clever.

I think we share an honor in knowing Jeremy. He's a very nice boy. Everybody here at school likes him, he's so easy to talk to.

Now for my brother, David. He married Hazel last year, and they bought a house not far away from where I live. Hazel's really nice, it's like having a sister, which is something I have missed. My brother works in insurance. He, too, took 'A' levels in Mathematics, Physics, and Art (like Jeremy). He's very clever; much more than me, and he's doing very well in his job, having just been promoted.

However, I shall have to go now, I must do some revision for the 'mock' exams next week.

Take care of yourself!

From Meg.
(Margaret Wilson)

P.S. I told you I wasn't very good at writing letters. Mind you, if you've got this far, it can't have been too bad.

Bye again.


Note: Regarding the scholarship. I don't think it was at all merit based -- but need-based. My folks could not afford college tuition so I got a free ride with the Illinois State Scholarship Commission. I could have gone to any Illinois state school but my parents didn't understand that the commission would also pay for tuition. The only thing they paid for was books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Meg -- May 14, 1976 -- the last one

 Hello Dona, I'll bet you're surprised to get this letter, aren't you? Well, I'm sorry I haven't written earlier -- I...