Friday, November 17, 2023

From Janet P May 9, 1975

 


6 Craggwood Terrace, Horsforth

Dear Dona,

Sorry about the delay in replying to your letter but these past two weeks I have been busy on my driving lessons. I don't know if Jeremy told you that his dad has got a brand new car with a dent on the back and Niky and I bought a secondhand car. You may ask your self why did Mr. B buy a brand new car with a dent, well he didn't actually get the dent with it. I drove into the garage doors, buckled the door and it bashed into the back of the car. I needn't tell you what happened. 

I'm glad that you have a daily fight with your brother now I know that we're not the only two who fight daily.

You ask what it is like to be eighteen in England. Well you are allowed to drink, get married without consent, and vote, but that's all. To go in the night clubs or discos it is twenty one, not that it stops a lot of people, but if we ever want to go anywhere like that we have to save up for months in advance so we can buy a drink to last us the night once we get in. Oh I forgot you are also allowed to see "x" certified films but they don't seem to bother if kids of about 13 get in. 

Yes, I do think that time passes very quickly when you look forward to something for months and then before you know where you are it is all over.

We do get awards for films but they seem to only give it to rubbish or French films that nobody has heard of. I don't know if I have seen any of the films up for academy awards as I don't know any that have been nominated.. Although you say The Great Gatsby but to be quiet honest I thought that certain film was a bit of a letdown. When I saw that film I had been to see three films with Robert Redford -- The Way we Were, The Sting, so after the other two such great films I didn't enjoy it.

We went to see Funny Lady last night and really enjoyed it but when I think back there wasn't much of a story and James Caan and Barbra Streisand carried it. I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought the L.P. 

Oh, by the way you have the same opinion about liver as me about liver. I think it is one of the most "yucky" things and if we have that my Mum normally has to make me something else.

I don't really know if you are more excitable you seemed a happy crowd I suppose when I think you really put the English kids to shame (especially Vilma).

Anyway I better close as I have got to go and make some lunch as Mom is doing the bedrooms and says that if we want any lunch to make it ourselves as she doesn't want to break off.

Anyway, bye for now. Give my love to Sue and all your family.

Love,
Janet

P.S. Niky sends his love and I am sorry if my writing has been jumping but I have been eating a raw carrot and they always without fail give me hiccups.


Note: I thought Janet was a few years older than me, but it seems we were the same age. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Janet P March 25, 1977

  10 Westfield Drive, Yeadon Dear Dona, I am so sorry to have taken so long in replying to your letter but I should tell you that I cannot r...